Managing My Digital Footprint

We live in the digital age and rely heavily on the internet and social media platforms to connect us with others personally and professionally.  As I stated in my previous post, it is imperative to be responsible with how we conduct ourselves online. Unlike footsteps on a dirt path that can be wiped away, our digital footprint is more permanent and is often used as the first impression that others will make of us.  I have given a great deal of thought about my own digital footprint and my plan of how I want and should conduct myself going further in my personal and professional life.  I may not always know what is around the corner or what opportunities may arise, but I should always be conducting myself in a manner that upholds a positive reflection of myself.  Below is a graphic that showcases ten specific strategies that will help me pave the way for a positive and reputable online presence. 



Here are more specific details about each strategy that I have set.

1.  Google Myself:  The first step to securing a positive digital footprint is to see what my current footprint looks like.  What information can people already see about me and what would their perception be of me.  Look to see if there any other people with the same name as me and what does their footprint look like.  This should be conducted periodically to ensure that a positive reputation is maintained and the information that I want others to see is being displayed.  (Anderson, nd; Linaker, nd)

2.  Activate Google Alerts: This strategy I just recently discovered. You can set up a Google alert for your name, email, or keywords to alert you if it has been tagged in something online. A scheduled notification, that you set up when and how, will be sent to you providing details of any new results. This is a good precautionary step to help keep you aware of any posts that you are not privy of so you can take action if needed. (Anderson, nd)

3.  Check All Privacy Settings: I need to examine all my privacy settings to see what is available for the public to view and what is currently kept private.  This should also entail recording all my accounts and passwords in a safe place.  This will help me identify what I am using for personal use and what is professional.  I will have separate accounts for different platforms (Twitter and Facebook), but I should be sure to comb through posts and images that I am tagged in to ensure that they portray me in a positive way. (Erickson, 2018; Simon, 2014)

4.  Create Professional Accounts: Set up different accounts for personal and professional use. Currently I see this taking place with the use of Twitter and possibly with Facebook.  This will help me freely share ideas, posts, resources amongst a group of peers and in my personal learning network.  I can tell right now that I often hesitate to share things in these forums because I initially began using them for personal connectivity.  Having a professional account will encourage me to be more open to sharing professional thoughts and resources. (Anderson, nd)

5.  Determine My Brand:  I need to evaluate what I want my brand to be or what I want to highlight about myself.  Think about how do I want to be perceived and what are my goals.  Think about the name I want to share across all platforms, if I want to create a blog to self-reflect, or a website that encompasses my portfolio and highlights work samples. This might include purchasing a domain name.  This should be given some thoughtful consideration and should be revisited to ensure I am staying in line with my goals.   (Anderson, nd; DeWitt, 2015; Simon, 2014)

6.  Grow PLN:   Increase my connectivity with other educators, professionals, and groups related to my profession and interests.  This will allow me to continually be in a professional development space, where I can obtain useful resources that I can put into practice.  It is important to note that one should be conscientious of the connections made, not focusing on the number but in the quality.  This process is ongoing, reflecting on what individuals and groups are or have been beneficial and those that are not.  In addition, I should looking those to add to my network, by evaluating who other people are connected with and being active in my search for professional development opportunities.  (Hewson, 2013; Aglio & McKean, 2017)

7.  Update Professional Bios:  Review my professional accounts that possess a written profile or bio.  Make any changes and updates to reflect my current education, work, accomplishments, and resume.  This will primarily be for LinkedIn and Twitter at this point, and then eventually on my website if I decide to go down that path.  (Couros, 2014;   Linaker, nd)

8.  Engage:  So far, I have been more of a lurker with the groups that I am a part of and haven’t really put my thoughts and ideas out for others to view or use.  My plan is to start engaging more regularly within my personal learning network, sharing ideas, offer feedback and my perspective.  That is ultimately how I will continue to grow, be creative and self-reflective as an educator.  Other opportunities could present themselves as a result of my increased engagement and participation.  (Linaker, nd; Trueick, 2017)

9.  Be Mindful: With all my data being tracked and documented, I need to be mindful about what I share, what connections I make, how I secure my identity, and my digital footprint.  My other strategies encourage me to be more of presence online, but I need to make sure I am always acting in a responsible and reputable manner.  Technology is a powerful tool that requires thoughtful use and staying alert to dangers or negative consequences. (Erickson, 2018; Trueick, 2017)

10.  Maintain:  Continue to embrace technology and leverage it to foster my professional growth and awareness that I can pass along to students and colleagues.  However, I need to be diligent in keeping my digital footprint in a positive light, by staying alert, safeguarding my information, and being aware of what my “footprints” are saying about me.  Continually revisit all strategies to ensure that my digital footprint is saying the story that I want others to see and know.   (Trueick, 2017)


References
Aglio, J. and McKean, J. (2017, February 18).  3 Ways to instantly grow your personal learning network.  Retrieved from https://www.edsurge.com/news/2017-02-18-3-ways-to-instantly-grow-your-personal-learning-network

Anderson, S. (nd) Teachers, Take Care Of Your Digital Footprint. Retrieved from https://www.teachhub.com/teachers-digital-identity

Couros, G (2014, Jan 28) 5 Reasons Your Portfolio Should Be Online.  Retrieved from
https://georgecouros.ca/blog/archives/4435

DeWitt, P. (2015, March 17) Making your voice heard: The power of the teacher brand.  Retrieved from https://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/finding_common_ground/2015/03/making_your_voice_heard_the_power_of_the_teacher_brand.html

Erickson, K. (2018, May) Your digital footprint: What is it and how can you manage it? Retrieved from https://www.rasmussen.edu/student-experience/college-life/what-is-digital-footprint/

Hewson, K. (2013) How can you help new or aspiring teachers develop a PLN?  Phi Delta Kappan, 94(7), 15–17. Retrieved from http://libproxy.boisestate.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=tfh&AN=86873370&site=ehost-live

Linaker, E. (nd)  How to develop a digital presence for professional success. Retrieved from https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/275398

Simon, E. (2014, July 17)  Do I need a digital teaching portfolio?
Retrieved from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/digital-teaching-portfolio-edwige-simon

Trueick, A. (2017, September 26) How to stay professional online: Social media do’s & don’ts Retrieved from https://cpljobs.com/ie/cplinsights/career-development/how-to-stay-professional-online-social-media-dos-donts/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EDTECH 543: Final Reflection

New First Impression

Social Media in Science