A New Form of Professional Development

As stated in my initial blog post, I am new to the Twitter world for various reasons.  So, this past week I really tried to spend some time using this social platform, understanding how I can employ chat searches, organize lists, utilize Tweetdeck, and determine the usability of Twitter for professional development.

I currently teach online high school biology using Schoology as the learning management system, which will be for the first time.  I wanted to focus on hashtags related to my current role, some of these included #ScienceTeachers, #Schoology, #OnlineTeaching, #BlendedLearning, and  #EnvironmentalScience.  I also continued readings post of those that I follow, like Edutopia, EdSurge, Mind Shift, and Nat Geo Education.   Below you find a screenshot of part of my Tweetdeck from the week.



The following are some noteworthy ideas, resources, and topics I discovered…

A great idea that I found from a teacher in Florida was a laboratory idea for environmental biology within the #EnvironmentalScience chat.  The teacher shared what they had their students perform in the laboratory using an egg’s membrane to show how toxins can pass through a cell membrane.  I haven’t heard of this lab yet or seen it in use, so I think Twitter can offer fresh outside ideas and other perspectives on lessons. 

From Mind Shift, I came across an updated “KWL” chart for the 21st Century, with the updated structure as “KWHLAQ” which stands for: what do you Know, what do you Want to know, How will you find out, what have you Learned, what Action will you take, and what further Questions do you have.  I think this new method is more valuable for student learning, having students expand their thinking and go deeper into the topic.



Lastly, through #Schoology, someone asked if they could set up an assessment that allowed students to submit a picture they took.  A few people responded with answers and suggestions as well as images.   As a first-time user of Schoology, I can use Twitter to help me find answers to my questions or even realize some of the potentials within an LMS.  I can also extend my ideas and expertise to others as well.  The only downside that I found within some of my searches was companies posting products and marketing.  Some products may be of use, but in some cases I found myself having to really sift and scroll through to find relevant posts for me.  Over time, I may find how to limit this content and advertisements.

I can see professional development shifting to Twitter to find more up-to-date information in real time that can be accessed at any time and anywhere.  This could be even more impactful if teachers then share with their network and others in their building- applying and adjusting new practices, ideas, approaches as needed.  Before I didn’t realize that people used Twitter to ask questions, particularly asking for help with teaching a concept or how to perform a specific function in a learning management system.  Sometimes within in our own building and face-to-face networks, there is a lag of new perspectives and ideas, leveraging social networks like Twitter can be a solution to acquiring fresh perspectives.  The Tweetdeck is now the only way I like to view my Twitter feed because it allows me to focus on one area at a time which feels more efficient for me.  I set up different columns for each of the chats I investigated and of the lists that I created of those I already follow.  Over the past couple of weeks, I have been using Twitter more than some of my other social networking platforms and foresee continued use.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EDTECH 543: Final Reflection

New First Impression

Social Media in Science